Monday, August 2, 2010

KSS Project of the Month - CD Spinner Card

If you are anything like me, you probably have accumulated an assortment of CDs over the years that you no longer want or use. Well today's project is a fun way to recycle them into spinning cards for the special people in your life. I created two samples for you today. One as a welcome card for a new baby, and one to welcome students back to school. CD spinner cards can, of course, be made for any and all occasions!

I cut a cardstock circle just slightly smaller than the CD so that the mirrored surface would sparkle and shine around the edge as the CD turns. I then cut the designer paper circle a quarter of an inch smaller. I used Kitchen Sink's Baby Multi Step Clear Stamps to create the images and sentiment on this spinner card.

For the front of the spinner card, I stamped the baby shoes and sentiment on white cardstock and then cut them out with oval Nestabilities. I added Primas with jeweled brad centers and a sweet satin bow.

On the back I placed the baby's name, birthday, and weight which I printed on my computer. I stamped and cut out the blocks and silver mug from Baby Multi Step Clear Stamps .

After all the parts were cut out and glued to the CD, I used my Crop-a-dile to punch a hole in the CD. I then attached a clear, stretchy cord from which to hang the spinner card!! I absolutely love the way that it is constantly turning and catching the light! It never stops moving and sending a rainbow of color dancing around the rim!

Stamps: Baby Multi Step Clear Stamps  by Kitchen Sink Stamps
Papers: Rich Razzleberry and Whisper White by Stampin' Up, Sweet & Sassy Polka Dots by the Paper Studio
Inks: Shoes - Layer 4 SU Rich Razzleberry, Layer 3 SU Pixie Pink, Layer 2 SU Pixie Pink stamped off once, Layer 1 SU Pink Pirouette; Blocks - Layer 3 SU Rich Razzleberry, Layer 2 SU Pixie Pink, Layer 1 SU Pink Pirouette, Mug - Layer 4 SU Basic Gray, Layer 3 SU Basic Gray stamped off once, Layer 2 SU Going Grey, Layer 1 SU Going Grey
Tools: Edge Punch, Nestabilities, Circle Cutter, Crop-a-dile, Sponge
Embellishments: Satin Ribbon, Primas, Jeweled Brads
Additional Materials: CD, Mono Multi Glue, Dimensionals, Scor-Tape, Clear Stretchy Beading Cord

Front of my Back to School CD Spinner:



Stamps: School Days Multi Step Clear Stamps, Other Important People Clear Stamps,
and Friends of the Moon Clear Stamps by Kitchen Sink Stamps
Papers: Georgia Pacific White, Designer Paper from The Grade School Stack by DCWV
Inks: Versafine Onyx Black, Apple - Layer 4 SU Cherry Cobbler, Layer 3 SU Real Red, Layer 2 SU Real Red stamped off once, Layer 1 SU Daffodil Delight stamped off once; Ruler - Layer 1 SU Daffodil Delight, Layer 2 SU Creamy Caramel, Layer 3 SU Soft Suede
Tools: Crop-a-dile, CM Circle Cutter
Embellishsment: Ribbon
Additional Materials: CD, clear stretchy beading cord, glue, Scor-Tape

Back of Back to School CD Spinner:

Stamps: School Days Multi Step Clear Stamps by Kitchen Sink Stamps
Papers: Daffodil Delight by Stampin' Up, Designer Paper from The Grade School Stack by DCWV
Inks: Versafine Onyx Black, Books - Layer 3 SU Brilliant Blue, Layer 2 - SU Soft Suede stamped off once, Layer 1 SU Creamy Caramel stamped off once


Give it a try!! I think you will be delighted with the results!!

Shopping instructions are above!

Drop in on the rest of the Kitchen Sink Crew. Each one has created something special for you today.


Don't forget to mark your calendar for Multi Step Stamping in Houston, Texas on October 8 and 9. It will be a wonderful opportunity for you to get some hands on Kitchen Sink experience under the guidance of Maria Colosimo, owner and creator of Kitchen Sink Stamps!

20 comments:

  1. What a great way to recycle those CDs. I was just going through mine and found several that would be PERFECT for this project. I'm particularly fond of the Back to School one myself.* grin

    Brilliant idea Lynn! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool are these!!!! I love using recycled items in my projects and these are a wonderful way to use those old cds!! They could even be kept and used as a Christmas tree ornament!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Lynn both projects are awesome. I am sure the baby's parents will treasure this keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fabulous idea..these are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! What fun projects, Lynn!! I have so many old CDs to recycle, such a perfect use for them!! Thanks so much for the wonderful inspiration!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both are just awesome, Lynn! I love the back to school card, Esp! Great way to to use up leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those recycle projects, Lynn!! I have so many CDs I can just toss out...they can be wonderful Christmas gifts! Thank you for sharing your creative idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous Lynn! Now I know what to do with all those CD's......Great.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are both awesome! And a great way of recycling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very clever card...they are super sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. both spinner are fabulous....you aced that project

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun! Must add this idea on my to do stamping list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great recycle project! You should enter it at Going Green Crafters and Artists. ggcaa dot com They would love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great way to go recycle! The CD spinner make great keepsakes too, wonderfully stamped!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How FUN!! The "Back to School" makes me a little sad. I'm always excited to see the children, but not excited about all the work ahead of us. I'm like the children I teach, I just want to go to school to have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lynn I love this!!! I will have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blog is so lovely, Lynn! I've always loved your work, you make such beautiful cards. Looking forward to working with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These spinner cards are both beautiful! This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an awesome POM Lynn!! Love them both! Great ideas too - wonderful way to recycle!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog today and leaving a comment on my work! I sincerely appreciate it!!