Monday, February 23, 2009

Coaster Refrigerator Art

Well, here it is Monday, and time for Kitchen Sink Crew Challenge #8. I have the great honor of being the hostess for this challenge. That means I get to decide what we are going to create today. I thought it might be a lot of fun if we used our Kitchen Sink Stamps to make some inspiring refrigerator art. So the challenge today is to use your computer to generate a favorite quote or scripture and then add the art with your beautiful stamps. Your refrigerator magnets can be any shape you like but must be no larger than 4 inches by 4 inches. I have used 4 x 4 coasters as the base for my refrigerator magnets, but you can use anything you would like.

In addition to being today's Crew Challenge, my coaster magnets are also the project of the month at Kitchen Sink Stamps. When I first designed this challenge, I hadn't planned on using coasters as my base, but while organizing my stamping materials trying to make room for more new stuff, I happened upon those hundred coasters I purchased a couple of years ago thinking I would make all kinds of niffy projects.

Well, I did make a few things but they were a lot of work, and I seem to be more into instant gratification so they got stuck away in a box and not used. When I saw them I thought, "Four by four! Perfect for my planned refrigerator art!!"

Thus were born these fast, easy refrigerator magnets made with scraps of cardstock and designer papers attached to a 4 x 4 coaster. I'm planning on using these as sweet little gifts when I visit friends in the hospital or tiny thank yous for coworkers or teachers. Or maybe just a little cheer for myself!!

I started my quest for quotes by laying out my stamps to see what images I could match to various themes. I selected my quotes and printed them on lightweight cardstock using my computer. Then the fun began. I pulled out my scrap boxes looking for designer papers and cardstocks to showcase my quotes and started cutting and layering.

I chose this first quote because most of my friends and family are employed in the education business! The quote is on a 3 1/2 inch square of white cardstock layered on a 3 5/8 inch square of black. I used a corner rounder to clip the corners, stamped the images, glued the two together, and then tied the ribbon around it before gluing it to the coaster. The coaster was covered with a 4 x 4 piece of red gingham designer paper with the corners rounded as well. A magnet was glued to the back of the coaster.


Stamps: School Days Multi Step Clear Stamps by Kitchen Sink Stamps

Papers: Red Gingham by the Paper Studio, US White and Basic Black by Stampin' Up

Inks: Real Red, Cranberry Crisp, Kiwi Kiss, So Saffron, Creamy Caramel, Chocolate Chip by Stampin' Up

Embellishments: Grosgrain Ribbon

Tools: Corner Rounder



I knew I wanted to use my butterflies with spring just around the corner so I selected this
quote by Nathaniel Hawthorne and beautiful Mellow paper from BasicGrey. I used my smooth and scalloped square Nestabilities to cut out my quote and mount it on dimensions in the center of my coaster which I had covered with the designer paper. The butterflies were stamped on US White and cut out to be mounted on the quote. I threaded the ribbon under the quote and tied the knot on the left. Last step, of course, was to glue the magnet to the back.




Stamps: Butterflies Multi Step Clear Stamps by Kitchen Sink Stamps

Papers: US White, Baja Blue, and Summer Sun by Stampin' Up, Mellow by BasicGrey

Inks: So Saffron, Pumpkin Pie, Chocolate Chip by Stampin' Up

Embellishments: Ribbon by Stampin' Up, Rhinestones, Twine, Dimensionals

Tools: Nestabilities by Spellbinders



I chose this quote with a special friend in mind who is working to recover from a serious illness.
Her favorite color is purple so I created this field of tulips to lift her spirits. I cut the quote out the full 4 x 4 size, stamped it and glued it to the coaster front. I cut the frame out of a 4 x 4 square of Elegant Eggplant with my nestabilites. The ribbons were tied on last and the magnet glued to the back.


Stamps: Bitty Tulip Bouquet Multi Step Clear Stamps by Kitchen Sink Stamps

Papers: US White and Elegant Eggplant by Stampin' Up

Inks: Almost Amethyst, Lavendar Lace, Elegant Eggplant, Wild Wasabi, Always Artichoke by Stampin' Up

Embellishments: Ribbon

Tools: Nestabilities by Spellbinders



This final magnet is done in honor of my favorite season, Autumn! I have a long hot wait before it arrives again in Texas, but when it does, I'll be ready!!

I printed this quote on Naturals Ivory and cut it out and framed it using my smooth and scalloped circle Nestabilities. The coaster was covered with Mellow from BasicGrey sponged with Chocolate Chip and the leaves and fern were punched with Martha Stewart punches. The ribbon was tied over the leaves and the quote glued over the top. The squirrel was added with dimensionals and last of all, of course, the magnet on the back!!


Stamps: Autumn Squirrel Multi Step Clear Stamps by Kitchen Sink Stamps

Paper: Mellow by BasicGrey, Naturals Ivory, Tangerine Tango, Chocolate Chip, Kiwi Kiss, Red Riding Hood by Stampin' Up

Inks: More Mustard, Kiwi Kiss, Tangerine Tango, Chocolate Chip, Creamy Caramel, Close to Cocoa by Stampin' Up

Embellishments: Punched Leaves and Fern, Organdy Ribbon, Dimensionals

Tools: Nestabilities by Spellbinders, Martha Stewart Punches, Corner Rounder


After looking at the fabulous works of refrigerator art posted by the Crew today, I hope you will be inspired to join us in this challenge. If you do, be sure to link it to the Kitchen Sink page on Paper Craft Planet for us all to enjoy!!

Here is what the girls have created for us today:

Angela** Julie** Lori** Maria** Nicole** Tammy

8 comments:

  1. Wow! What great magnets you created! I love the fun colors, and what a brilliant way to use those scraps up.

    I had so much fun playing along with this challenge! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! All of these are just fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Lynn!! These are all just FABULOUS!! You made 4 beautiful magnets and your quotes are awesome!! What a wonderful project you came up with - so much fun!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your magnet designs are all fabulous, Lynn and this challenge was awesome! I looked forward to doing this for many days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How clever and beautiful, Lynn, and FABULOUS quotes!
    Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tutorial and inspiration - I have some old cork backed coasters that just may need to be recycled.... I have plenty of other ones, so I am sure they will not be missed!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, how lucky I am to have such a brilliant sister that dreams up such inspiration and making use of scraps in such a lovely way. I made one, but you have motivated me to make many more.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog today and leaving a comment on my work! I sincerely appreciate it!!